Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Media Experiment 3: The Social Network(s)




For my third media experiment I was assigned to compare the relationships I have with film and television. While I definitely cannot speak for all I can confidently say that for me, television is a much more social environment and apart of my weekly routine whereas film is so much more of an escape for me.

Currently in my apartment I do not have a television in my bedroom but instead the living room where my roommates and I all watch together. There we can talk about the program we are watching or we can even discuss something unrelated, there really are no rules when watching television and I sometimes even find it to be awkward if you watch television with someone and sit in complete silence, it almost requires commentary. Additionally, I never really find television as an escape but instead just tuning in each week to catch up with the characters of each show. Because television is episodic and returns each week, I definitely have more of a familial relationship with it, I know these characters and I'm invested in them and that's why I tune in each week., Similar to Peter Gibian’s question, “What does loyalty to a station or obsession mean?” (Newspeak Meets Newstalk, 140). There is definitely a nostalgic feeling with television shows because of my loyalty. For example, I have been watching the television show Gossip Girl since the start and unfortunately I find that in it’s fourth season I continue to watch each week not because I enjoy it (the quality of the show has definitely gone down) but because I have a loyalty to it. So to answer Gibian's question, I believe a loyalty to a station means that the biggest challenge a television show has is getting its viewers to feel a sense of loyalty to their show, that way even if the writing and storylines become weak the ratings will stay consistent.

On the other hand, film is much different for me. When I was younger going to the movies was definitely a social event with friends or family but as I have grown and come to respect film much more I have chosen to go to the movies alone and I truly find this to be an escape. When the lights are down and you are completely alone you can become completely absorbed into the film and there is no room for commentary except in your own head. Even afterwards the walk home by myself I am still replaying the film in my head and my real life doesn't come back to me until I am surrounded by other people again. Even when going with friends or family to the theatre now it is not a social event because unlike a television in your living room, there are rules in a theatre. There is no talking or using a cell phone, or at the very least kept to a minimum. Also, there is less of a familiarity with film because for the most part I do not know the characters before going in, with the exception of a sequel or remake, but even those can have original characters. This definitely supports McLuhan's theory that film is a hot medium because there is such low participation involved.

Additionally, because I am not heading to the theatres to catch up with familiar characters I am going because I am genuinely interested or curious in the story that is going to be told. You are paying specifically for this entertainment whereas with television you pay a monthly bill for all of it. Because I am paying this specific amount (usually 13 dollars in New York City) there is much more appreciation for what you are watching. You do not want to leave during the show to run to the bathroom or grab snacks because unlike television there is no DVR or Tivo, you cannot pause and rewind a great moment so there is much more authenticity when watching films. Similar to Benjamin Walter’s quote, “The presence of the original is the prerequisite to the concept of authenticity” (Illuminations, 220). Sure you can repeat viewings but that costs more money and you have to sit through the entire film again if you are just looking to see one scene again, therefore there is a very genuine and original feeling I get when watching a film in the theatre because I won't be able to have this moment again.


Here is a clip that demonstrates the strong and diverse characters a show has created to keep a loyal fanbase even if the quality of the overall show has drastically decreased: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qS-Jqc0KUA&feature=related

2 comments:

  1. It is interesting how you and I have different feelings towards watching a movie in the theaters than at home. I guess that with the ability to watch movies through the use of my net book I find that I have a more intimate connection there than when I watch a film elsewhere. However, I do agree with you and I think you are right when you say that with a television there is this feeling of obligation to speak to those around you. At the movie theaters this is completely out ruled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with the notion that television is about loyalty. I watch One Tree Hill for the eighth season in a row this year. There are definitely points where I am tempted to stop watching and points where I even grow sick of the show, but I feel an almost guilt about neglecting to watch an episode. I feel like I cannot leave the characters until the show is done. I liked your point about how your relationship with film has changed over time. I feel like my relationship to T.V. has stayed the same as it is something I do with others as a ritual. My mom and I used to watch Gilmore Girls every Tuesday night together. Today my roommate and I watch Gossip Girl every monday night. With movies, I remember going to the theatre in middle school with all of my friends, thinking it was so cool to socialize during the movie. Today I am completely in my own world, cell phone off, sometimes alone, and the one who says "shhh" if anyone is talking. Film is escape, because it is a completely new experience you have no obligation to.

    ReplyDelete